Tuesday, September 15, 2009

President Monson is a Prophet


This goes hand in hand with Sunday's post. Another reason why I love BYU is because they have weekly devotionals on Tuesdays at 11:05 am. Today we had the awesome privilege of hearing from our beloved prophet, Thomas S. Monson. Not only do his talks help us feel the spirit, he is quite a comical man. Today he spoke about the 9 prophets he knew in his lifetime. He told a little bit about each one starting with Heber J. Grant. My roommate commented and said that it was so interesting because he was able to tell a personal story about each one of them. I wish I could recall everything to memory, but here are just some things he mentioned:

Heber J. Grant
Favorite Hymn: "Do what is Right"
Advice he might give: Persist in everything good and noble.

George Albert Smith
Favorite Hymn: "Let us oft Speak Kind Words"
Advice he might give: Have compassion

David O. McKay
Favorite Hymn: "Oh Say What is Truth"
Advice he might give: True Christianity is love in action.

Joseph Fielding Smith
Favorite Hymn: "Prayer is the Soul's Desire"
Advice he might give: Be Studious; Wickedness never was happiness.

Harold B. Lee
Favorite Hymn: "Praise to the Man"
Advice he might give: Stand ye in holy places and be not moved.

Spencer W. Kimball
Favorite Hymn: "I need Thee Every Hour"
Advice he might give: Be dedicated

Ezra Taft Benson
Favorite Hymn: "How Great Thou Art"
Advice he might give: What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.

Howard W. Hunter
Favorite Hymn: "Have I done any Good?"
Advice he might give: Be Modest; Proverbs 27:2

Gordon B. Hinckley
Favorite Hymn: "God of Our Fathers"
Advice he might give: Do your best.

He concluded by saying,"What can we learn from the presidents whom I have known and about whom I have visited with you today?" President Monson asked. "We can learn that they never wavered, never faltered, never failed; that they are men of God."




2 comments:

tAy-Team said...

Thank you for the devotional recap. Is that your own picture of President Monson?

Ie Ling said...

ha. no it's not. I wish.