Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm a Warrior.

At least I feel like one after posing like one for so long. 


Mondays and Wednesdays in Mexico City include a yoga session in Bosques de Las Lomas. For some reason when I was younger I imagined yoga as a meditation rather than a form of exercise. Last Monday was my first session and I was surprised by how hard it was and how sore I was for days and days afterwards. After 10 minutes I was sweating, wondering when the pain was going to end, but I couldn't ask because everyone is silent during yoga. However, I have lived to write about it and it turns out yoga is 2 hours long.

Today was my second time at yoga and once again, I was dying.

Downward facing dog. Upward facing dog. Warrior 1. Warrior 2. Warrior 3. Flow. High Plank. Low Plank. Triangle. Airplane. Crow. 

And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head right now. As much as it hurts, yoga is amazing because you get to work all these muscles you didn't even know existed. 

The last thing we do in our sessions is Savasana. I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it's apparently also called the corpse pose, in which you lay on your back on your mat and close your eyes as you listen to music and slowly release the tension in all your body parts. The instructor, Lisa, then comes around and places a washcloth over your eyes and then drapes a blanket over your body all the way up to your neck and it is the most amazing feeling. Ie Mei and I agreed that it only feels so good because we worked our bodies so hard. It turns out I can get through 2 hours of yoga a lot better when I know Savasana is coming.

Ailee joined us for yoga today and copied some of the poses on her own mat. She is a really cute warrior.

2 comments:

Katie & Kenny said...

Hello my long lost friend. You're in Mexico?!? Yoga is the greatest. I got a new phone and do not have your number. I love you.

jennica said...

omg....!! yaya. you love yoga now too! you must get a 24 pass and come with me and cass in the fall/summer or whenever you come back! its so much harder than you think. and i love the end corpse pose.. except we don't get warm washclothes. jealous!! love you miss you!