Thursday, July 15, 2010

Virginia is for Lovers: Day Fifteen

It's crazy to think that I've been in Virginia this long. I guess I'm having so much fun that time is passing by quickly. On Tuesday we got a little vacation from the normal hot, humid weather. It was still humid, but it was overcast for most of the day. Jonathan and I decided to take Mei Li and Stephen to the library for story time. We meant to get there at 10:30 for the "terrific 2s" story time, but we came late and it was all filled up.

So, in order to kill time, I read some books that Mei Li and Stephen picked out. It was the craziest thing. They both picked out books from 3 separate parts of the children's section, one by one, and somehow we ended up with five Christmas/winter books. It was amazing. After reading we went inside for STORY TIME!

The theme was fish. We sang songs about fish, read books about fish, and had a flannel board story about fish. Mei Li and Stephen seemed to like it. I never grew up going to story time, but I've been to quite a few over the years, and I would say that this one was very enjoyable.

When we came home I decided I needed to get some exercise in, so Mei Li, Jonathan, and I ran around the parking lot doing intervals. I was surprised at how much Mei Li enjoyed running with us. She was a trooper. Next on the agenda was Purcellville.

Barrett came to Ashburn to pick me up around 5:15 pm and we made our way back to the lovely town of Purcellville to have dinner at his house. His mom made a delicious flounder for dinner along with rolls, salad, and fruit. Then it was time for the fun to begin.

Barrett had asked me what I wanted to do for the day and I told him I was dying to rock out, so while he played some sick guitar, I pounded out a legit beat on my drums on rockband. He'd probably say he was top performer, but it was really me. His sweet mom brought us dessert while we were playing. It was homemade strawberry ice cream that his dad had made with pound cake and fresh strawberries. It was perfect.

And then it was time to leave the Johnsons' beautiful home and make our way to Barrett's lacrosse game. As I've said in previous posts, I've become a fan of lacrosse this past year, and even though Barrett wanted to get rid of me, I tagged along to watch his summer league game. It brought back some great memories of this past winter semester. I sat with Barrett's parents and watched him play a great game, scoring 3 of the 9 goals. One was coast to coast.


I remember the first time I watched lacrosse. It was in California, the day after my birthday. My mom had flown me home for my birthday weekend so I could go to Disneyland with Jeremy and Michiko's family. (Side note: The BYU lacrosse team was there for the weekend and they also made a trip to Disneyland. I remember spotting Barrett as he came out of the Buzz Lightyear ride and then Jon-Michael as he was walking down Main Street.) On February 13, my friend Olivia and I made a trip to Orange County to watch BYU play Chapman in a most exciting and thrilling game. We lost in overtime, but it was the perfect first game to watch. I hope that I'll have many more opportunities to watch lacrosse in the upcoming years.

1 comment:

Tisha said...

love reading about all your fun times with your sister! I HOPE you end up in Virginia someday! that's only one state away! and who are all these fun virginia boys you're friends with :) glad you've been having a great summer! talk to you soon!